Sunday, October 5, 2008

Oct 2nd

Today, we had class until 10:15 a.m. and then caught a bus to Galway. As I hopped off the bus the airwaves filled with rain pounding against the walks and a mob of protesters chanting the phrase “G-M-I-T WE DON’T NEED No F****** FEE!” I was drawn to the crowd. The intensity and decibels grew with every step toward the masses. The hippy looking crowd brought back memories of the protesters outside Macalister after G-Dubs took office in 2004. As the people became angrier gardas (cops) surrounded the city center, Eire Square. I quickly snapped some pictures and dipped before anything got out of control. I started to move quickly with my back to people and ran to the mall. Immediately after snapping the picture, as I was running, I heard three or four guys yell at me, “hey you.” Before turning around to acknowledge them, I almost wet myself in fear. Did I offend a group of angry college activists by taking pictures? Was I gonna get tossed by the neighborhood activists Barack’s been babbling about?

I turned around to face my fears and my eyes met with a group of college students. They wanted my attention because I dropped my sun glasses. They tossed me the glasses. I thanked them and played it off like nothing happened, walking away from the situation with a fake tough look on my face. I mean, I did grow up in the hood off Summit Ave, STP, so of course I wasn’t scared.

After the protester run-in we bought groceries at AlDis and some beer at Dunnes Off License. As I waited for the bus to pick me up, the rain drenched my bags sending groceries and booze everywhere.

After my adventurous day I took an hour nap and then made myself a ham and cheese pita sandwich with a pint of Smithwhicks.

We all decided to hit up the pub after dark. I told J.P., the owner of the hotel, I wanted to work for him. I needed something to do other than read for class, cook, and think about Jinette. I told him I didn’t even need money, just something to spice up the routine a little. I explained to him, I liked to think I’m hard working and I stopped being able to convince myself after sitting too long. He laughed, poured me a wee bit too many pints on the house and told me, “Well new employee, it’s pay day today and today’s currency comes in liquid form, including: Guinness, Smithwhicks, Coke, and Paddy’s Irish Whiskey…” I laughed a lot, not because it was anything was terribly funny, but because I felt a wee bit intoxicated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you can pretty much say you actually do work for beer :)

What do I do with the beard?